At Precision Metal Products, we specialize at providing low volume, high mix manufacturing services to customers in the aerospace industry. Producing the bell inlet shown here, which featured dimensions of 12" in diameter and 4" in length, required diligent planning and scheduling for the execution of multiple fabrication and assembly processes.
We formed the Poroplate® inner skin and stainless steel outer skin pre-forms on our punch press, then moved them to the spinning lathe to create the axial geometry. Our technicians then used a laser to trim them to a tight ±.005" tolerance. We rough machined the forged ring and welded to the inner liner, then used an adhesive film to bond the honeycomb between the inner and outer liners. Additional operations consisted of finish machining the forged ring, fiberglass layup on the external skin, masking, and painting.
This project showcases our ability to use multiple materials and use a large mix of manufacturing, assembly, test, and inspection processes to produce high-integrity, critical components for demanding applications. If you would like to learn more, or have a project you would like us to evaluate and quote on, please contact us directly.
- Product Name
- APU Bell Inlet
- Product Description
- APU Bell Inlet for the Aerospace Industry
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Punch Press
- Metal Spun
- Laser Trimmed
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Punch Press and Laser
- Paint Shop, Punch Press, and Bonding
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Ø12" x 4"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- Acoustic Poroplate, Honeycomb, Cres 304
- Material Finish
- √125 Max
- Additional Facts
- Poroplate inner skin and Stainless outer skin are formed by use of punch press and metal spinning then laser trimmed to size. Forged ring is rough machined and welded per AWS D17.1 to inner liner. Assembly consists of adhesive film bonding of the honeycomb between the inner and out liners, welded and final machine of forged ring to size. Fiber glass layup on external skin, masked and painted (primer).
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Standard Inspection Methods, Gaging, Penetrant Inspection, and CMM inspection.
- Industry for Use
- 120 Units/Year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 70 Days
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- AWS D17.1