At Precise Metal Products our ability to produce high-integrity products using the latest technology available makes us a trusted supplier to leading aerospace manufacturers. The plenum shown here was designed for use in an auxiliary power unit. It consisted of several mated components, which required high precision to ensure the proper fit. We used multiple manufacturing processes, including sheet metal fabrication, spinning, laser trimming, and welding to form the components from 6061-0 aluminum.
Once complete, the plenums measured 24" in length x 16" in width x 34" in height. In addition to a chemical film, finishing requirements included anodizing and painting of the exterior, which required our technicians to carefully mask the parts to prevent paint from adhering to the interior surfaces. For quality purposes, along with standard inspection methods, we conducted airflow testing to ensure the unit would operate efficiently on the aircraft.
Our high mix of skills and equipment enabled us to successfully produce this assembly to meet the customer’s quality and performance standards. To learn more about this project or about our specialized aptitude for manufacturing critical aircraft assemblies, contact us directly.
- Product Name
- APU Plenum
- Product Description
- APU Plenum Designed & Built for an Aerospace Manufacturer
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Metal Spun
- Laser Trimmed
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Laser, Brake Press, Spot Welder, Seam Welder, and Mill
- Seam welding, Assembly department, Paint shop
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 24" x 16" x 34"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- Aluminum 6061-0
- Material Finish
- √125 Max Before Paint
- Additional Facts
- Part consists of several details that must mate at assembly. Parts are painted exteriorly but must be masked to prevent paint on the interior surfaces.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Air flow Test, Standard inspection methods
- Industry for Use
- 50 Units/Year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 80 Days
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- AWS D17.2