At Precise Metal Products, we produced the inlet plenum shown here for a customer in the aerospace industry. This example demonstrates how our high mix of skills and equipment enables us to manage projects from receipt of drawing to a fully assembled, finished, and inspected product.
The use of hydroforming enabled us to create the difficult and irregular geometry in a single forming cycle. We laser trimmed the tubes to size and machined the bosses, which were welded per AWS D17.1. Assembly consisted of welding, adhesive bonding of the inner Poroplate® skin to the honeycomb and outer bimetal skin, as well as hardware installation and bonding of the gasket seals. The finished workpiece measured 24" in length x 15" in width x 36" in height, and since our large dip tank easily accommodated an assembly of this size, we were able to paint it in-house.
In addition to CMM inspection on literally hundreds of dimensions, our quality team conducted additional testing to ensure the plenums met acoustical and airflow performance requirements. We completed the project in 120 days, and continue to manufacture them in a quantity of 15 per year.
If you are interested in learning more about this project or how our large portfolio of skills can benefit your next project, contact us today.
- Product Name
- Inlet Plenum
- Product Description
- Fully Assembled, Finished & Inspected Inlet Plenum for an Aerospace Customer
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Laser Trimmed
- Adhesive Bonding
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- Laser, Hydroform, Seam Welder, Mill, and Dip Tank
- Paint Shop and Assembly Department
- Overall Part Dimensions
- 24" x 15" x 36"
- Tightest Tolerances
- Material Used
- BiMetal, Acoustic Poroplate, Honeycomb
- Material Finish
- √125 Max before Paint
- Additional Facts
- Multiple hydroform details and formed tubes laser trimmed to size, and machined bosses all welded per AWS D17.1. Assembly consist of welding, adhesive bonding of inner poroplate skin to honeycomb and outer Bimetal skin, hardware installation, paint, and bonding of gasket seals
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Standard Inspection Methods and Air Flow Test
- Industry for Use
- 15 Units/Year
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 120 Days
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D CAD Drawing
- AWS D17.1